Thursday, April 5, 2018

Some Ideas Have to Ruminate...

Makerspace, Project Based Learning, NGSS, and other ruminations


So, it's been over a year since I was on here. And I've been having a great time becoming a primary teacher. The wonder, the immediate gratification of student growth, the joy of being 7 in the world...I needed it.

But now I've got to make some of the changes I started thinking about 2-3 years ago. I need to find that motivation to just TRY IT. Find my groove. Our flow (see my previous post today.) We have to give back to the world and the only thing in our way is my hesitation. 

Last year, around Christmas, I blogged about starting primary genius hour but then, well, curriculum, timelines, units, new classes happened. And I didn't remember what I wanted to do. But now I've got 2 and half months left to give this class as much of an experience as I can. So, staying in my comfort zone, we'll be doing some STEM challenges to dip our toes in the process. (To be clear, I'm the one who needs to dip -- I'm sure the class would be fine jumping.)

Last spring (and currently), the first grade team had students invent something to solve a problem over spring break. Then we had an invention fair to peruse all our ideas. It was awesome. And then my class did a bridge project (and I plan to do it again) with a partner. That was it. 
And now...
I've had this product since last year but I wasn't ready. The stars aligned that our ELA curriculum is talking about sound and then construction... feels like engineering opportunities. Structured for me. I always like to see examples before creating my own version and having someone come up with this piece freed me up to think about logistics.
Teach Outside the Box
To begin, how would we manage a project over several days in a very busy classroom? A project that is open-ended (somewhat) and required students to keep track of their own progress? Well, shoeboxes. Counter space. Boxes of supplies. Do I control how many of each? Do I have a check out/ store set up or unlimited? (I think limited resources is the best way to force creativity. Maybe I'll change my mind.) 

So-- the shoeboxes. Check. These will be something we can stack or at least put away and are sturdy enough to survive first grade accidents. I hope. Also, the toilet paper tubes, cups, string, dried beans, random stuff I've got in my teacher closet...
First Grade NGSS topics


To help push me along on this passion, I have been on a science curriculum exploration with the other small districts in my area around Next Generation Science Standards  and have been trying to help our Foss Kits with phenomena and engineering components. My class has had experience all year with exploring tools and open-ended exploration through morning tubs, explore time, and daily 3 math tubs. They needed the free explore but now most would like some direction. Some challenge. And I think dipping my toes into engineering is going to meet that need.

No comments:

Post a Comment